Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Where we've been...

So in July of 2009 we decided we would start trying to have another baby. Brady is always asking me, "When is God gonna give me a baby sister?" How do you answer that?? I would always tell him that God would give us a baby whenever he thought it was time. That only led to more and more questions from his curious little mind, but somehow I managed to convince him that it wouldn't be too long (hopefully).

We got pregnant the first month, which was a total shock! After a week or so we told everyone. Then in my 5th week I started having cramping and spotting. After blood work for a few days it was decided that I was not having a normal pregnancy. The doctor prepared me for what she thought was going to be a miscarriage. It just so happened to be the weekend of Brady's 4th birthday party too. Doctor's orders were to stay in bed...but I just couldn't. Needless to say the pain got worse over the next few days and after more blood work and a couple of ultrasounds, they determined I had an ectopic pregnancy in my right tube.

The pregnancy was still very small and my doctor felt she could spare me surgery (and losing my tube) by giving me a methotrexate shot. This cancer drug would stop the cell growth and cause my body to absorb the mass. During all this my hormone levels were being closely monitored and it was also found that my liver functions were elevated. This ordeal took an agonizing month to remedy itself and finally my levels were all back to normal. We were told we could start trying again in a couple of months.

We were also very fortunate the next time to get pregnant the first month. I was very guarded with my feelings about this pregnancy, but I so badly wanted to be excited. I was scheduled for a 6-week ultrasound to make sure the baby was in the right place this time. I had absolutely NO cramping or bleeding up until the ultrasound. So I was very hopeful that this pregnancy was going to work. Kyle and I went in for the U/S and watched as the technician rooted around taking pictures. I had no clue what we were looking at but I didn't expect to see much this early anyway. She asked a lot of questions which kind of made me nervous, but I was trying to push those feelings down. She left the room to consult with her doctor and came back with the news that she didn't see a pregnancy at all...intrauterine or otherwise. We were devastated!

We immediately went downstairs to my OB's office for blood work to see where my hCG levels were. Of course the day of waiting for the results was agonizing. I got the results the next morning and by that time I had already started cramping and bleeding. I knew it was not going to work this time either. The doctor wanted to repeat the hCG test the next day. Two days after finding out there was no pregnancy I was awake all night with severe left-sided pain. Nothing I did alleviated it and I could not get comfortable for anything! I spoke to my doctor at 6:30am the next morning and she scheduled me for another ultrasound first thing that morning.

We had just had one of the coldest nights of the season and Kyle was off that day. He had spent an hour pouring water all over the back patio the night before so Brady could do some "ice skating" when he woke up. So my wonderful mother-in-law offered to take me to my appointment so the boys could have their fun. That was the most painful vaginal ultrasound I had had to date. The technician took pictures for almost an hour and I cried the entire time. Even after all that time she could not come to a conclusion on her own. She called in the radiologist to watch the ultrasound as they tried to determine where all that pain was coming from. His findings were still a bit inconclusive but he thought he could see a mass of some kind on my left side. He sent me back down to my OB's office for her to decide what to do. Being the great doctor that she is, she decided not to mess around with it this time since I was in so much pain. She scheduled me for surgery that very day. She was able to remove the pregnancy but I also lost my left tube in the process.  She told my family after the surgery that if we would have waited just one more day, the pregnancy would have cause my tube to rupture...which could have led to severe blood loss and possibly death.

No comments:

Post a Comment